• Welcome to the Official News Site of ACHS

The news site of Andover Central High School

Andover Central Spotline

Trump issues “America’s First Energy Plan,” silent on other environmental issues

Colton Trowbridge, Spotline Staff Writer

The immensely controversial Donald Trump has taken the helm of president at a time in which the environment and human effect on environment have taken a stronghold of public interest. Climate change has been almost universally accepted by scientists and global statistics have shown drastic changes in temperature over the past few years. President Trump, however, has made very few attempts and conservation of the environment or steps towards making a greener and more efficient world.

Although Trump claims that he never denied climate change, tweets and records show that at points throughout his recent life he has in fact denied the existence of climate change. For environmental activists these claims are worrisome. Without representation and action, the world will not become any cleaner. Pollution will still run rampant and the global temperature, as well as the ocean levels, will continue to rise. However, of the six issues posted on the official White House website energy does hold a spot. According to White House “President Trump is committed to eliminating harmful and unnecessary policies such as the Climate Action Plan and the Waters of the U.S. rule,” in order to create jobs for Americans.

The Climate Action Plan, established by President Obama, has the goal of achieving a cleaner environment by cutting carbon pollution, reducing waste, and lessening America’s dependence on foreign oil. The plan declared to place a limit on the amount of carbon allowed to be put out by businesses and also create a standard to increase the amount of renewable energy created by the United States. Trump opposes the plan because of the financial consequences. The plan funds research and renewable energy, but most offensive to Trump is the way in which the plan effects workers. Trump has claimed that the Climate Action Plan is detrimental the the American job force and claims that in abolishing it and the Waters of the U.S. rule he will “greatly help American workers, increasing wages by more than $30 billion over the next 7 years.”

Trump is calling this “America’s First Energy Plan” and it is the only environmental issue he and his administration have felt important enough to post on the White House issues section. Other than opposing the two previously mentioned acts, Trump’s plan claims to be “committed to energy policies that lower costs for hardworking Americans and maximize the use of American resources, freeing us from dependence on foreign oil.” How he plans to do so does not bode well for the environment. Trump’s plan details the wanting to tap into untapped oil and natural gases, failing to address how he would do so and the environmental effects this may have, and instead laying out how this would positively effect the economy and job growth. While growth in jobs and the economy is a good thing, the consequences on the environment are more prevalent to more people. The environment effects everyone, and Trump seems to know this.

In the final paragraph of Trumps plan outlines his best wishes for the environment and its protection. It clearly addresses that conserving the environment is a serious issue to the world, stating that in order to “stimulate our economy, ensure our security, and protect our health” we need to keep an Earth that is free of as much pollution as possible. His plan doesn’t lay out any steps towards doing this, rather ignoring clean energy as a whole aside from one sentence explaining how Trump is “committed to clean coal technology.” His plan does offer some encouragement. It shows that he is aware of some environmental issues; however, it does not outline how he plans to help the environment or to what extent he plans to focus on the environment.

The environment and its conservation effect everyone, and as president, Donald Trump has to decide how he wants to treat the environment. As he continues to establish “America’s First Energy Plan” the world will see if he keeps his word in creating a cleaner earth or if he backtracks into policy driven by the promise of money and jobs.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/america-first-energy

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/the-press-office/2013/06/25/fact-sheet-president-obama-s-climate-action-plan