• Welcome to the Official News Site of ACHS

The news site of Andover Central High School

Andover Central Spotline

Boys’ swim team take first in Hutch with individual, relay victories

Colton Trowbridge, Spotline Sports Writer

The boys’ swim team competed against seven other teams at Hutchinson on Tuesday, and returned home with a first place finish under their belts. The team placed first overall and put in a good showing.

“The team did amazing,” senior Arman Meinecke said, “we are really well rounded in all events, especially distance and sprints.”

Along with the team’s first place finish came quite a few individual victories. Spencer Krueger, senior, won all four of his events.

“I participated in the 200-yard freestyle, the 50 yard freestyle, the 200 yard medley relay, and 400 freestyle relay,” Spencer Krueger said, “I think that the team did really well, considering that last time we went Hutch we didn’t place as well as we did this time. It was really nice to see the team’s improvement.”

While individual races went well, Meinecke felt that the best part of the tournament was the team’s relays.

“I think my relays went great but my individual races could have gone better,” Meinecke said.

The team consists of some athletes who have been competing for years, as well as some new additions to the sport.

“This is my first year swimming,” sophomore Sam Thomas said, “It is a lot of work but its fun,”

Veteran swimmers on the team have high hopes for the team and their continued improvement.

“We’ve seen a lot of the same teams so to beat McPherson was really nice for us to see the improvement over the season,” Krueger said.

The boys next competition is on Saturday, February 11 at Maize South.