• Welcome to the Official News Site of ACHS

The news site of Andover Central High School

Andover Central Spotline

Two wrestling victories promising as postseason approaches

Wil Ullmann, Spotline Sports Writer

The boys’ wrestling team took care of business in a duel with the Goddard Eisenhower Lions, beating the lions soundly on Thursday night. The Jags left the duel feeling energized about their performance, while acknowledging that there were areas in which there is room for improvement.

“I think that the team did really well in winning the duel, but there were also areas that we need to do better at, such as our technique,” junior Griffin Baker said.

The final score was padded by the fact that Eisenhower lacked wrestlers at many of the weight classes that the Jags excel at.

“I actually didn’t have anyone to wrestle last night, because they didn’t have anyone to wrestle in my weight class,” Baker said.

The wrestling season is heating up as it heads towards the regionals, and state tournaments, but if the Jags continue to improve they have a solid shot at making a run in the state tournament.

“It’s a real great group of guys,” junior Julian Acosta said, “I’m very optimistic for the future of the wrestling team, and making state is a definite possibility for many of the guys on the team currently.”

The Jags followed up their win over Eisenhower by winning a tournament at Holton High School over the weekend. The team is back in action this Saturday in Chanute hoping to continue their winning ways, and carry their momentum into the late season stretch before the playoffs.