• Welcome to the Official News Site of ACHS

The news site of Andover Central High School

Andover Central Spotline

Students share opinion on Presidents’ Day

Alexandra Schumann, Spotline Staff Writer

As part of history, the nation’s presidents deserve a day to be remembered and celebrated for their accomplishments. Falling on the third Monday of February, President’s Day serves as a reminder and another day of rest for the country’s workers and students.

“To me, President’s Day is great because it’s good to recognize the beauty and history of our country. Also, having a three-day weekend is always something to look forward to during the school year,” sophomore Audrey Orlowski said.

The holiday was originally named Washington’s Birthday, but the mid 1980s marked the time when the name evolved into President’s Day to include every American chief executive. However, Abraham Lincoln and George Washington remain as the most recognized presidents.

“George Washington is my favorite president because he’s credited with starting it all. If he didn’t start the country and go about things the way he did, I don’t think we’d be here in the amazing country that is today,” sophomore Davis Joseph said.

Even though Lincoln and Washington lead the pack, sophomore Peyton Wilson favors another president.

“Honestly, I’d have to say Ronald Reagan is my favorite [president]. He was a great leader to help end communism in the Cold War,” Wilson said.

The history behind one of America’s holidays shows unity and celebration of the leaders of the country.

“Overall, I feel that this day marks freedom, American culture, and the good and the bad that comes with each president. We must remember that our presidents are human and they are in office for a reason, and I think President’s Day is a great reminder of that,” Joseph said.